My top 4 go-to meals on the run!
As much as I find cooking and being in the kitchen therapeutic, it can be the last thing I feel like doing after a long day of work. But if you want to eat healthily, it can be hard to find better alternatives to a home cooked meal.
So I have rounded up my favourite simple & speedy recipes that help me zip through my week. I always make enough to cover lunch the following day too. And if you are cooking for your family or friends, even better as you don’t have to spend time cleaning up once you have eaten.. no such thing as a free meal!
First up and one of my absolute favourites:
Courgette and Leek Fritters with King Prawns
Fritters are my go-to for a delicious mid-week dinner. The basic principle is to grate some veg (courgette/ sweet potato / carrot etc), mix in an egg and some flour of your choice until it is the right consistency for a patty. Sautee in some coconut oil and top with an egg / cheese/meat/seafood or topping of your choice
For this yummy combo, here is the recipe:
- 1 courgette, grated
- 1 leek, chopped finely
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 egg
- ½ cup brown rice flour
- Salt and pepper
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 tbsp good quality pesto
- Squeeze of lemon juice
- 8 King prawns
- 1 tbsp garlic and chilli flavoured olive oil
- Remove the prawn heads, shell and legs. Then slit the backs of the prawns lengthwise with a sharp knife.
- Devein, then place the prawns in a bowl. Drizzle in the flavoured oil and place in the fridge to marinate.
- Make the fritters by mixing the leek, garlic, zucchini, egg and brown rice flour. Season with salt and pepper.
- Get a non-stick saucepan really hot and add the coconut oil.
- Using 1 heaped tbsp batter at a time, use your hands to flatten the mixture into patties
- Fry for 2-3 mins on each side or until golden brown. Continue with the remainding mixture then set the patties aside.
- Preheat BBQ or grill to high, add prawns to the flat plate (or if using the grill place prawns on a flat heat proof tray) and cook for 5 minutes, adding some marinade, until cooked.
- Serve by adding 5 patties per plate, a dollop of pesto, a squeeze of lemon and topp with the prawns.
Crispy Cauliflower Salad with Lemon Myrtle drizzle
This delicious and earthy salad takes just a few minutes to prepare once you have cooked the cauliflower. Delicious alone or you could also serve with some grilled meat or fish.
Creamy Buckwheat Veggie Pasta
Whats better than a creamy indulgent pasta sauce? Maybe this recipe which is completely dairy free and actually healthy too. Yum!
Black Pudding, Pear and Blue Cheese Salad
I love cashel blue cheese and could eat it with anything! Pairing it with some sweet pear and bitter rocket is divine. Top it off with black pudding and it is a delicious meal that is ready in no time.
I hope you enjoy the recipes as much as I do! Make sure to tag me in any re-creations @kadyskitchen_ I would love to see how it turns out.
See you back here soon for more kitchen creations.
Kady O Connell is an art director, food photographer and cookbook author. Her extensive experience in graphic design and photography has taken her all over the world, and she’s now based in Sydney, Australia. Her design studio, Kady Creative, specialises in branding for the wellness industry and she’s become the go-to girl for local food and lifestyle entrepreneurs, translating their dreams into tangible, successful brands. She recently styled, shot, designed and co-wrote her first cookbook, Behind the Half Door – Stories of Food and Folk, with fellow foodie and former Sunday Independent journalist Biddy McLaughlin. A truly remarkable patchwork of Irish history, emotion-filled interviews and authentic recipes. Click here to learn more!
Shop Kady O’Connell and Biddy McLaughlin’s wonderful book packed with delicious recipes, beautiful imagery and charming tale of Irish food and folk.
If your feeling inspired by Kady’s recipes (like us!) you’re going to need the ultimate kitchen essential – the Joseph Joseph Chopping Boards!
Comment below to let us know what your favorite simple and speedy dinner is!
- *Winner announced 26.02.2018