This time of year we’re all on the health buzz after the indulgence of the festive season. However, as temperatures drop even further, we’re in need of the perfect comfort food to warm our bellies but also keeping the healthy balance. Julie’s Chicken Vegetable Soup is the perfect recipe for both comfort and staying healthy and we can confirm that it is absolutely delicious!
- 1Kg skinless, boneless chicken breast halves, cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1½ cups chopped fresh mushrooms
- 1 cup chopped carrot
- ½ cup chopped onion
- ½ cup chopped green sweet pepper
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons snipped fresh basil or 2 teaspoons dried basil, crushed
- 1 tablespoon snipped fresh parsley or 1 teaspoon dried parsley, crushed
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- 6 cups water
- 2 tablespoons chicken stock granules
- 500g potatoes, cut into 1-inch pieces
- ½ cup quick-cooking barley
- The barley adds texture, flavour, and a healthy dose of fibre to this heart-healthy main-dish soup recipe.
Prep: 45 mins
Ready In: 1 hour
In a medium bowl, toss chicken breast pieces with the poultry seasoning; set aside.
In a large Le Creuset Casserole, heat 1 tablespoon of the oil over medium heat. Add mushrooms, carrot, onion, sweet pepper, garlic, dried basil and parsley (if using), black pepper, and salt; cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove vegetables and set aside.
Add the remaining 1 tablespoon oil to the casserole; heat over medium heat. Add chicken pieces; cook about 5 minutes or until browned, stirring occasionally. Return vegetables to the casserole. Stir in the water and chicken stock granules. Bring to boiling; stir in potatoes and barley. Return to boiling; reduce heat.
Cover and simmer about 15 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Stir in fresh basil and parsley (if using).
Serve in soup bowls of your choosing.
Shop our dinnerware here >>> DINNERWARE
Shop our cookware here >>> COOKWARE
The M&B Team x